Categories: News

Toyota continues to work on new gasoline and hybrid engines

Toyota, which has been advocating a multi-energy approach to automobiles for several years, does not intend to bury thermal engines any time soon.

Will the future be purely electric? No, at least not according to Toyota. The president of the brand, Akio Toyoda, has said this more than once, he who has always viewed with skepticism the efforts made by many manufacturers in terms of electric cars.

The Japanese manufacturer itself and its Lexus brand have only recently entered the scene of electric models and it is also for this reason that of the more than 11 million vehicles sold worldwide in 2023, only 104,018 (0.9%) were 100% electric. And if it is true that the brand is preparing to launch several electric vehicles in the coming years, it has no intention of abandoning thermal engines far from there.

Thermal and hybrid engines will continue to exist elsewhere than in Europe

During a conference held in front of 200 executives and directors of the company, Akio Toyoda reiterated the strategy of “major engine development project”. This statement follows on from the announcement made at the Tokyo Motor Show a few weeks ago, where the Japanese leader reiterated his desire to continue working on thermal engines. On this occasion, Akio Toyoda declared that electric vehicles would never exceed a 30% market share, regardless of technological advances. Therefore, the remaining 70% will be occupied by gasoline, hybrid and hydrogen cars.
Among other things, he has long maintained that diesel engines hydrogen could potentially offer an alternative solution, Toyota carrying out tests in this regard by participating in certain Japanese competitions in particular, but also by intensifying its research and development around hydrogen-powered utilities.

What future for Toyota?

If we look at what’s new from Toyota for the next few years, we see a strategy that goes against the grain of many competitors. After renewing the GR Yaris, the brand is preparing a supercar, probably equipped with a non-electrified engine. In addition, sales of the new Land Cruiser will begin in 2024, which will initially only be available with a diesel engine.

At the same time, the brand is also ready to seriously tackle electric, starting with a B-segment crossover based on the Urban SUV concept arriving in 2025 and a possible electric Land Cruiser.

Read also :
Toyota wants to launch into ultra luxury with its Century SUV
Toyota lifts the veil on its new Grand Highlander
Toyota: why is it still world number 1 in 2022?

Share
Published by
Redaction

Recent Posts

Red Dot: this red dot on your car which can earn you a fine of up to 100,000 euros!

Red Dot: this red dot on your car which can earn you a fine of up to 100,000 euros!

In Germany, a round, red sticker called the 'Red Dot' has become a symbol of…

8 hours ago

Lamborghini Huracan STJ: a last goodbye?

The Enigma Behind the Name “STJ” The recent trademark registration of “Huracan STJ” by Lamborghini…

9 hours ago

“Get directions at a glance”: what is this new feature coming to Google Maps?

Google Maps introduces a new feature for smartphone users: Directions at a Glance. Here's what…

10 hours ago

The editor-in-chief’s editorial: “the nostalgic echo combines with the future”

While its market shares are following an evolution as reassuring as that of the Mer…

11 hours ago

Cars blocked in the United States on suspicion of forced labor

The United States has blocked thousands of cars at its ports. They suspect that a…

12 hours ago

This Mustang-MGB mix is ​​one of the most unusual cars of the moment

This old English sports car from the 1970s actually hides several parts from a Mustang…

13 hours ago

This highway is closed for an “indefinite” period!

Part of the A9 motorway has been closed for several days due to a demonstration…

14 hours ago